Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Switch Hitting for your Vision

One of the most dangerous things for a writer / illustrator who is going to be releasing a product that includes both of their talents is the inevitable comparison of one to the other.

"I liked his artwork, he's a much better artist than a writer; he should just stick with that."

"While I enjoyed his story, the illustrations were amateurish and better left to a professional."

Etc, etc.

If my releases do produce such criticism, I'll be happy. I'd be even happier if it produced conflicting criticism like above, as that would mean I'm doing both right.

But if it is one-sided, what can you do? All I can imagine is that you take the criticism with a grain of salt, like all artists should, and continue on your merry way. There really isn't any way around the opinions of others, you just have to make the choice on whose advice you're going to listen to, if anyone's.

Last night I finished my first story to the point that I'd be ready for the public to view it, but I'm still going to send it to an editor before I finalize it for release. Those oxford commas aren't going to just correct themselves, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment